Monday, March 09, 2009

Getting Ready for the Season

The weather here on Long Island has been a roller coaster ride these past couple of weeks, but the calendar tells me that it's time to get ready for the nice weather and party season that will be upon us very soon!

As much as I love the stark beauty of the snowy winterscapes--they make it easier to see the wild birds--the budding crocuses and warm afternoons are a siren song luring me and my camera into the great outdoors without worry of dead batteries and fogged up lenses that the winter weather guarantees. I love the available light of a late afternoon or early morning on shorebird paddling in the Mattituck Inlet, and I marvel at how unafraid most of them are as I aim my lens at them.

This is also the time of year that I start contacting the couples I will work with this summer to remind them to consider their photos as the finalize their plans. Light is the most important consideration in any photo session, and the time of day will make a dramatic difference in the quality of light in your wedding photos. So, as you plan the timing for your ceremony, cocktail hour and reception, remember to allow for travel time AND arriving when the light is right.

Of course, any pro photographer worth their salt will be ready to manage whatever lighting scenario is presented, but if given a choice, the lush, warm light of a late spring or summer afternoon will turn a nice photo into a work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment